MVU has programs to help make paying your monthly bill easier through the level-pay plan. There are also programs for income-qualified families and those who require medical life-support devices.
Your energy use changes from month to month and so does your energy bill. To balance out the highs and lows, you can have a more predictable energy bill simply by signing up for our Level Payment Plan.
With level payment, your monthly bill will still show your actual usage and the costs for your service for the billing period. We’ll compare your bills and payments three times each year and, if your level payment amount is too high or too low, we’ll let you know and change the amount on your next bill. Fall is the best time to sign up for the Level Payment Plan. By beginning in Fall, you will have enough time to accrue credits to reduce your summer bills.
How it Works
MVU will total your electricity use over the past 12 months. The total is divided by 11 and becomes your Level Pay Plan amount for the next 11 months. On the 12th month, you’ll receive a settlement bill showing either a payment due, or a credit to your account based on how much energy you actually used.
Your account is periodically reviewed and your Level Pay Plan monthly amount may be adjusted. Adjustments are made every 4 months, if necessary.
To Qualify for the Level Payment Plan
- You must be a residential or small commercial customer with a minimum of 12 months of service with MVU.
- Your account must be paid up to date with no arrears balance.
- During the last 12 months and going forward on the plan, your account can have no more than two late paid billings, no non-sufficient funds checks, or disconnections for nonpayment.
To qualify for the energy rate discount, a qualifying MVU customer must submit a completed application and include an original Transcript of Return from the IRS.
Submit completed application:
Moreno Valley Utility (MVU) has a rate reduction program to provide income qualified families a discount on their electrical charges.
- The MVU Energy Assistance Program is a discount program for qualified residents, providing a discount on monthly energy charges depending on their income and household size.
- Program qualifications and rules are subject to change at the discretion of the utility.
- Eligibility for the program is based on the number of full-time residents in the household and the total gross income of all household members.
- Discount applies to energy charges only. Customer charges, public purpose charges, service fees and all taxes are calculated at the standard rates.
- To apply for the program, electric service must be provided in the name of the applicant.
- If applying using an original Transcript of Tax Return from the US Internal Revenue Service, a transcript is required for each member of the household. Transcripts are available free of charge by mailing a completed Form 4506-T to the IRS. Form and instructions are available at www.irs.gov.
- Applications received without the required Support Documents or Transcript of Tax Return will not be processed.
- Program enrollment is valid through June 30 of each year. Customers must reapply annually to demonstrate eligibility for the discount.
- Allow 4-6 weeks for processing of application. Once approved, the discount will apply to the next regular billing period.
To be eligible for Medical Baseline, you or someone who lives with you full-time must require use of a medical life-support device or piece of equipment.
A qualifying life-support device is any medical device used to sustain life or is relied upon for mobility. This device must run on electricity supplied by MVU. It includes, but is not limited to, respirators (oxygen concentrators), iron lungs, hemodialysis machines, suction machines, electric nerve stimulators, pressure pads and pumps, aerosol tents, electrostatic and ultrasonic nebulizers, compressors, IPPB machines, kidney dialysis machines, and motorized wheelchairs. Devices used for therapy rather than life-support do not qualify.
You or a full-time resident can also be a paraplegic, hemiplegic, quadriplegic, multiple sclerosis or scleroderma patient, or have a life-threatening illness or compromised immune system.
How to Apply
- Download and complete the application. You can also request the application from MVU by phone or in person.
- The patient’s physician will need to fill out the required information on the application and sign it certifying the medical need.
- You can email, mail or bring the completed application to the MVU local office.
- Once the application is reviewed and approved, the Medical Baseline Allocation will be effective on the next regular electric billing.
- Applications must be renewed every two years
To be eligible for the Utility Tax Exemption, all residents of your household must have a combined gross income less than that specified as 65% of median household income for the County of Riverside as defined annually by HUD.
See the program flyer for more information:
How to Apply
- Download and complete the Application for Utilty Tax Exemption. You can also request the application from Moreno Valley Financial and Managment Services by phone or in person.
- Provide the requested proof of gross income.
- Once the application is reviewed and approved, the Utility User Tax exemption will be effective on the next regular electric billing.
- Applications must be resubmitted each February.
If you have any questions or need assistance filling out the application, please call 951.413.3090.