Do you have a Moreno Valley based business?
Have you been impacted by COVID-19?
You may be eligible to receive a $7,500 grant with the new Forward MoVal Small Business Program. *
On Tuesday, May 19, the Moreno Valley City Council approved the Forward MoVal Small Business Grant. The purpose of the program is to support small businesses and to stimulate the local economy through job growth and retention. To qualify, businesses must be located in a Census Designated Tract or prove the funds will create or retain a job for an eligible worker. To see if your business is located in an eligible tract, please download the CDBG Map.
Eligible businesses must meet the following criteria:
- Must be a for-profit, independently owned local business.
- Have a current City of Moreno Valley Business License.
- Have a physical establishment within the City of Moreno Valley, not located in a residential area.
- Small businesses must employ no more than 20 full time equivalent employees, including owner(s).
- Meet the national objective for creating/retaining jobs that benefit Low and Moderate Income persons.
- Business must have been operational at least one (1) year prior to March 19, 2020.
- Business must be operating during the COVID-19 crisis.
- Business must have a demonstrated hardship due to COVID-19, such as a loss in revenue.
- Qualified Low and Moderate Income employees must be actively working at the business in Moreno Valley.
- Be in good standing with the City of Moreno Valley (e.g. no liens or judgments or outstanding Code Enforcement violations).
- Owner must commit to keeping employees employed and remain in operation for two months, and show documentation of employment during this period.
Pursuant to federal guidelines business applicants that have received funding for any federal CARES Act program or COVID-19 relief funds, such as Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) or Economic Injury Disaster Loan (EIDL) are not eligible.
Awarded funds are intended to help businesses retain staff and continue to provide quality services to the residents of Moreno Valley. Eligible use of funds, include:
- Labor expense (excluding the owner)
- Rent and utilities
- Overhead expenses (insurance, maintenance, etc.)
- Business services (web site development, etc.) to increase capacity to carryout business activities
- Business inventory and supplies
- Capital or equipment purchases necessary for the business operation (excluding vehicles)
- Businesses are required to identify their intended use of funds during the application process.
*Funding for the Forward MoVal program is contingent on approval of additional Community Development Block Grant Coronavirus (CDBG-CV) funds made available through the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act and is subject to applicable CDBG-CV guidelines.
Riverside County COVID-19 Business Grant Program
Businesses located within Riverside County that have been adversely impacted by the COVID-19 Pandemic are encouraged to apply for a $10,000 COVID-19 Small Business Grant from the County of Riverside. Businesses applying for the Grant Program must meet certain eligibility criteria. All grants are subject to underwriting and approval. Please note that due to limited funds, not all applications submitted will receive funding.