Contact MVU Administration:
14331 Frederick St., Suite 2
The City Council approved MVU's Residential Rate B time-of-use rate (TOU) for all new residential solar customers effective on December 15th, 2020. See details of this new rate. This new TOU rate still allows a customer who is a net producer of energy, during each billing period, to receive a monetary credit on their billing account. Note, existing solar customers have been grandfathered for 15 years on the Schedule NEM and NEM2 rates. This rate is optional for all residential customers but is now required for customers who install solar, battery and solar plus battery storage.
MVU only accepts residential solar interconnections using the Solar & Storage Application. A customer-signed Solar Consumer Protection Guide is a newly required document as part of the application package. MVU recommends exploring all cost-effective energy efficiency options prior to installing solar, starting with an energy audit.
Solar technologies, industry trends, and energy rates are evolving—as your trusted energy advisor, please contact MVU for more information before installing solar on your home in Moreno Valley.
- Only complete application packets will be accepted. A utility-provided onsite energy audit may be required for homes over 5 years old prior to interconnection approval. MVU does not allow oversized systems
- MVU only allows systems to be installed to offset all or part of the customer's annual electrical usage. System sizing shall not exceed 1-
year usage history. When 1-year of usage history is not available, the following formula will be used for maximum system sizing, measured in Watts (CEC-AC):
[(1692 x number of units) + (0.75 x square footage of home)]
- All solar system components must be new and approved by MVU. Panels and inverters should appear on the latest California Energy Commission certified photovoltaic modules list and certified inverters list as posted on the California Energy Commission website.
- MVU recommends that panels should be warranted for 25 years, and inverters and labor for 10 years.
- If an existing MVU solar customer chooses to expand the current installed solar system by 10% or more than the account will be moved to the Rate B TOU. The addition of battery storage to an existing solar installation will also require the account be moved to the RATE B TOU.
- A qualifying system must be installed on the same premises as the applicant customer.
- Moreno Valley Electric Utility (MVU) reserves the right to determine interconnection restrictions.
- All systems require a non-refundable $75 Review fee (pursuant to MVU Electric Service Rule No. 21).
Commercial Solar Interconnection Process
Commercial solar project proposals will be evaluated on a case by case basis based on the customer’s load profile and their location on MVU’s electric grid. Please refer to MVU’s Generating Facility Interconnect (Rule 21 and Rule 21A) or contact MVU for more information.