Business License Information

Welcome to the City of Moreno Valley’s Business License information center.

The Business License Team wants to help you get your business started in the easiest & quickest manner. If you have any questions, just get in touch  so we can walk you through the requirements for getting your Business License and getting your business opened.

License Fees

Current business license fees from Jan 1, 2019 thru Dec 31, 2019 are:

 note that business license fees are not pro-rated and are valid through the end of the calendar year. Business licenses that are purchased after September 30 will be valid through the end of the following calendar year.

Per license


Vehicle Tag (per tag)


License for Farmers Market
(per vendor per day)


License for single day events per vendor, per day
(Treasury Operations Division Manager approval required.)


Reprint of License (each)


Business Listing (each)


City business license fees include a processing fee which can be found on the application and a gross receipts tax. All businesses are classified in one of three categories. Each category has a separate gross receipts tax scale:

Category A
Category B
Category C
(Professional Services):

$.25 per $1000 of gross receipts

$.50 per $1000 of gross receipts

$.75 per $1000 of gross receipts

(calculate using 0.00025)

(calculate using 0.00050)

(calculate using 0.00075)

Please refer to the Business License Categories & Application Fees schedule for details on specific business categories.

Getting a New Business License

Business Located Within Moreno Valley

Use the online system:

Business License Application

Or, complete one of the following Business Application Packets and submit the completed paperwork in person to the customer service counter at City Hall.

Business Located Outside Moreno Valley

Use the online system:

Business License Application

Or, complete the appropriate application below and submit the completed paperwork in person to the customer service counter at City Hall.


General Guidelines for Opening a New Business

In addition to a Business License, additional documentation may be required from Federal, State or Local agencies.

  • Sales: Anyone selling products must have a state Sellers Permit. If you are an in-city business you must provide a copy of your Seller's Permit when you apply. Please note your permit must show the Moreno Valley address. The California Department of Tax and Fee Administration will be able to provide address changes, if needed
  • Business Name: If a Fictitious Business Name is used, it must be filed through the Riverside County Clerk & Recorder.
  • Ownership: If a Partnership, Corporation, Trust or Limited Liability Corporation owns the business, you must provide a Federal ID Number (EIN). If you are a Sole Proprietor you may either use your Social Security Number or a Federal ID Number. A husband and wife may or may not need to obtain a Federal ID Number.
  • Employers: If you have employees, you must provide a State ID Number (EDD).
  • Licensed business: If your business is licensed by a state agency (such as contractors) you must provide your State License number, type and expiration.
  • An Independent Contractor or Booth Rental License is for individuals working in an existing licensed business (ex. barbers, hairstylists, real estate agents and massage therapists.)
  • A Peddler/Solicitor License is required for Individuals or organizations that wish to engage in door-to-door sales.
  • Permits: For more information about local, state, and federal licenses and permits, visit the Department of Consumer Affairs, and the Small Business Administration website.