Code and Neighborhood Services

Street maintenance

The Code and Neighborhood Services division responds to citizen complaints and pro-actively identifies code violations on public and private property to protect the health and safety of the community and to ensure the highest level of voluntary resolution of issues City-wide by  enforcement of the City’s municipal codes.

Code and Neighborhood Services Mission Statement
The Code and Neighborhood Services Division is responsible for the enforcement of Code relating to neighborhood nuisances, health and safety, substandard housing, vehicle abatement, zoning/land use, illegal signs, parking control, weed abatement, business licenses and graffiti restitution.

Blight and nuisances can devalue, detract and degrade the quality of any neighborhood. The City has adopted codes that govern the use and maintenance of private property in order to enhance and protect the quality of life for all who work, live and play in Moreno Valley.  

Code Violations

The Code & Neighborhood Services Division generates cases through both proactive and reactive means. Both code violations that have been brought to the attention of the Division by citizens and those that have been generated by staff are addressed in a similar manner.

When residents and/or property owners do not voluntarily abate code violations that have been brought to their attention through verbal warnings or written letters, there are numerous avenues available to assist in gaining compliance. These include, but are not limited to, issuance of a written notice of violation/ warning documenting the violations; issuance of administrative citations that carry a fine of $100 - $500 per violation per day; and criminal citations to court; and property liens.

Description of Common Code Violations

How Do I Report a Code Violation?



Where can I park?

Designated parking areas are marked with signs conveying pertinent information such as hours, days and length of time a vehicle is allowed to park. Find more information about commercial truck parking, street parking time limit, unpaved surfaces and other parking scenarios here.

Where can I view my street sweeping days?

Navigate to the City's GIS Map, then click on "Get your street sweeping calendar" to view your street sweeping days. Failure to move your vehicle on street sweeping days will result in a parking ticket.

Permits & Licenses

I'm planning to open a business. What kind of permit(s) do I need?

The type of permit depends on the business use. If operating a home-based business you may need to apply for a Home Occupation Permit. Before starting any business, verify your use is allowed within the zone your business plans to occupy.

Do I need a permit/license to...?

Display a business sign

Yes. You will need to apply for a sign permit. Find more information about signs and banners here.

Have a garage/yard sale

No permit required. Please note, residents are limited to only three garage/yard sales per year. Sales cannot be held on public property, which includes sidewalks, streets, alleys, and parkways. Additionally, information can be viewed here and on the City’s Municipal Code.

Rent out my home(s)

Yes. Residential property owners will need to apply for a business license for each rental property. Find more information about establishing a business here. For property zoning questions please contact the Planning Division.


What kind of animals can I keep on a residential property?

Certain animals such as roosters are prohibited in the City of Moreno Valley. Livestock, such as chickens, goats, horses and pigs are regulated by how an area is zoned. All residential properties are allowed to have cats and dogs. For more information please contact the Planning Division.

See the Animal Keeping Requirements Table.

Who do I contact regarding mosquitoes, green stagnant water, or other health and safety hazards?

Please contact Code and Neighborhood Services using the following reporting methods:

Why does my letter state "alleged condition"?

In order to better manage the volume of cases received, the division sends out a courtesy notice to the property owner. This provides the owner an opportunity to correct any violations that may exist. An inspection is conducted after 14 days and in most cases the violation(s) have been corrected and the case is closed.

When reporting a code violation will my name be released to anyone?

Any personal information related to any code compliance case is kept confidential.

How long does it take for a case to be closed?

A code case can sometimes be resolved in as little as a day or can sometimes take several weeks. In many cases inspections are being routinely conducted and there may be administrative citations or other legal processes occurring that are not readily visible to the public.

Who do I contact for a homeless encampment on private property?

Any criminal matters such as trespassing on private property would need to be referred to the Moreno Valley Police Department at 951.247.8700. Code Compliance staff only addresses abandoned items, junk, trash and/or debris on private property.

Administrative Citations

Moreno Valley Municipal Code Section 1.10.020 provides for the issuance of administrative citations for Municipal Code violations.  There are three levels of citations that can be issued progressively for a violation.  The fines, as indicated on the front of the citation are $100.00 for the First Citation, $200.00 for the Second Citation, and $500.00 for the Third and subsequent citations for violations of the same ordinance within one year.  These fines are cumulative and citations may be issued each day the violation exists.  A warning, if issued, does not incur a fine and, therefore, may not be appealed.

Rights of Appeal

You have the right to appeal this administrative citation within thirty (30) days from the citation date.  An appeal must be in writing and mailed to: City of Moreno Valley, P O Box 7275, Newport Beach, CA 92658-7275.

How to Pay a Fine

The amount of the fine is indicated on the front of this administrative citation.  You may pay the fine by mail, phone or Internet.  Payment must be in the form of a money order, personal check or cashier’s check payable to the City of Moreno Valley.  Please write the citation number on your check or money order.  Mail payments to:  City of Moreno Valley, P O Box 7275, Newport Beach, CA 92658-7275.  You may also use the Internet to pay: or by phone at (800) 989-2058.  Citations cannot be paid at City Hall.

If the citation is not paid or appealed within the statutory time you will receive an invoice from the processing center (Revenue Experts, Inc.)  Please follow the instructions on the invoice to ensure proper processing of your payment.  Payment of the fine shall not excuse the failure to correct the violation nor shall it bar further enforcement action by the City of Moreno Valley.

Consequences of Failure to Pay the Fine

The failure of any person to pay the fine assessed by the administrative citation within the time specified on the citation or on the invoice from the processing agency may result in a claim with the Small Claims Court or any legal remedy available to collect such money.  The City has the authority to collect all costs associated with the filing of such actions.  Failure to pay fine requirements may be found in Moreno Valley Ordinance 639 Section 1.10.110.

Consequences of Failure to Correct Violations

There are numerous enforcement options that can be used to encourage the correction of violations.   These options include, but are not limited to: criminal citation, abatement warrant, and tax lien on property.

If you need further information about the violations and/or how to comply, please call the officer designated on the citation.

If you need further clarification about payment or appealing the citation please call 1-800-861-7422.  A full description of the hearing process for the City’s administrative hearings for Municipal Code violations and your rights in the process are found in Moreno Valley Municipal Code Sections 1.10.120 – 1.10.150.

Parking Citations

Paying a Parking Citation

Parking Citations can be paid :

  • In person: Moreno Valley City Hall, 14177 Frederick Street, Moreno Valley, CA 92553
  • By Mail:  Payment must be in the form of a money order, personal check or cashier’s check payable to the City of Moreno Valley.  Please write the citation number on your check or money order.  Mail payments to:  City of Moreno Valley, P.O. Box 7275, Newport Beach, CA 92658-7275. 
  • By Phone or Internet: You may also use the Internet to pay with a credit card at or by phone at (800) 989-2058

Contesting a Parking Citation

Instructions for contesting a parking ticket:
Contesting a Parking Ticket

Parking Citations can be contested :

  • In person: Moreno Valley City Hall, 14177 Frederick Street, Moreno Valley, CA 92553
  • By mail:  Complete the Parking Citation Contest Form and mail to City of Moreno Valley Code and Neighborhood Services, P.O. Box 88005, Moreno Valley, CA 92552-0805
  • By Internet: You may also use the Internet to contest your parking citation at

Business/Commercial Enforcement

Commercial Code Enforcement addresses issues with business such as business licenses, illegal signs/banners, licensing mobile vendors, issuing special event permits, and enforcing city codes for commercial property.

Here are the general requirements for temporary event banners/signs/balloons:

  • Temporary Commercial Signage Guidelines (05/15)
  • Promotional advertising banners (such as Grand Opening signs) require a sign permit from the city
  • Special event signs (such as a weekend car sale) require a sign permit from the city.
  • Balloon height is limited to 50 feet above the ground - no exceptions.
  • All signs must be in good condition with no tattered or torn edges.

Foreclosure Registration

On March 10, 2015, The Moreno Valley City Council adopted Ordinance 887, Section 1.  Moreno Valley Municipal Code, Chapter 6.14, “Registration of Residential Property in Foreclosure”.   This program was established as a mechanism to protect neighborhoods from becoming blighted through lack of adequate maintenance and security of properties due to foreclosure.  For questions regarding the foreclosure registration program please contact Nationwide Cost Recovery Services (NCRS) at 951-472-9451 or you can email them at

To register a property, please click here.


Code and Neighborhood Services Division
Main line: 951. 413.3340
Fax line: 951.413.3345

Steve Alvarado
Code Compliance Field Supervisor

Code Officers

Note: If reporting a code or parking violation, please use the one of the following reporting methods:

Code Officers

Parking Control Officers

Mark Mandel
Code Compliance Officer II

Millicent Moore
Code Compliance Officer II

Patty Posey
Code Compliance Officer II

Glenn Vargas
Code Compliance Officer II

Terry Wallace
Code Compliance Officer II

Pamela Chaffin
Code Compliance Officer I

Julian Contreras
Code Compliance Officer I

John Marquez
Code Compliance Officer I

Justin Ramirez
Code Compliance Officer I

Alex Vasquez
Code Compliance Officer I

Linda Bennett
Senior Parking Control Officer

Roberto Luera
Parking Control Officer

John Parker
Parking Control Officer

Vincent Roldan
Parking Control Officer


Moreno Valley Logo



Moreno Valley City Hall
14177 Frederick Street
PO Box 88005
Moreno Valley, CA 92552
Phone: 951.413.3000
Hours: Monday - Thursday; 7:30am - 5:30pm
Fridays: 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Get in touch: Contact us
Copyright City of Moreno Valley, All Rights Reserved.
Important Information About This Site