Building and Safety

Construction safety

The Building and Safety Division issues permits, provides plan check and inspection services, conducts code enforcement and provides assistance to citizens in complying with jurisdictional and State building codes to ensure the safety of the citizens of Moreno Valley.


April/May Statistics

Customer Counter Visits - Total/Daily Average: 579/29 
Building Permits Issued: 205 
Inspections: 1,418 

Builder's Advisories

  • On January 1, 2017, the 2016 California Building Code will become effective for all new permit applications as prescribed within adopted Ordinance 915.  Please see our Builder’s Advisory for more information.
  • Effective October 1, 2015, the City of Moreno Valley has implemented an expedited permitting process for small residential solar systems in compliance with Assembly Bill 2188 as signed by Governor Brown in 2014 (Ordinance No. 902). View all related forms here



When do I need a building permit?

A building permit is required whenever any addition or structural modification is to be made to an existing commercial or living space. A building permit is also required if building a structure, such as a tool shed that is larger than 120 square feet.

Do I need a permit to...?

Build a patio cover

Yes. A permit is required for all attached and freestanding patio covers. No permit is required for a patio slab.

Build a retaining or block wall

Yes, if higher than three feet from top of footing. View the pdfs for more information about retaining walls and block walls.

Display exterior signs and banners

Yes. A sign permit is required.

Replace a wood fence

No, provided it is replaced with wood, vinyl or wrought iron, and in the same location and not over 6 feet in height. Additional requirements can be viewed here.


Yes, if repairing or replacing roofing components over 100 square feet of the roof of your home or garage.


Which application do I need to start the permitting process? How long will it take to review?

You will need to fill out the Application for Building Permit. If you are an owner-builder you will also need to fill out the Building Permit – Owner Builder Verification form. Also make sure to include the Fire screening form with your submittal.

If all required documents are submitted, normal review time is within 10 business days.

Is landlord approval required prior to permit submittal?

Building and Safety does not require landlord approval for architectural submittals (eg. drawings and plans).

What type of inspections will be required?

Inspections required would need to be discussed with your building inspector.

How much will my permit and plan check cost?

Permit fees vary depending on the type and work done. Fees can be viewed here or you can contact us at 951.413.3350 for an estimate.

What happens if something was built without a permit?

You can apply for legalization through the permitting process; if that is not an option, you will be required to remove the unpermitted structure by obtaining a demo permit.

Does my contractor need to be licensed to obtain a building permit? How do I verify my contractor is licensed?

Yes, contractors are required to be licensed in California. The Department of Consumer Affairs Contractors State License Board has a website that enables you to look up license status and information by the contractor’s name or license number.

Data & Records

Can I review permit and plan records for a property?

Yes. You will need to complete and submit a Public Records Request form. Some documents may need an Affidavit for Duplication of Plans, signed by the professional designer, to be submitted before copies can be released.

How do I get a copy of my house plans?

To receive copies of the city approved set of plans; an Affidavit for Duplication of Plans signed by the professional designer, must be completed and submitted to the Building and Safety Department.

How do I view general information about my property?

You may use the City GIS map to view information such as boundary lines, schools, public facilities and zoning. For more information visit the GIS map page .


Please contact Building and Safety for pricing information at (951) 413-3350.

Forms and Applications

Building and Roofing

Certificate of Occupancy

Patio Covers

Residential Solar

A completed application, eligibility checklist, and plan in PDF format may be submitted by email to

Electric Vehicle Charging Systems



Inspection Scheduling

Inspection requests are based upon availability. To schedule an inspection online, please click the button below. Alternatively, you can call in inspection requests at (951) 413-3380. If calling in inspection requests, please have your Permit number and inspection Category number ready.


Schedule an inspection online


Building and Safety
Main line: 951.413.3350
Inspection line: 951.413.3380
Inspection email: Building

Nick Henderson
Building and Safety Supervisor

Building Inspectors

Permit Technicians

Thomas Arce
Building Inspector II
| 951.413.3352

Craig Frick
Building Inspector II

Perry Singerman
Building Inspector II

James Verdugo
Building Inspector II

Tammy Macy
Senior Permit Technician

Yahnel Bishop
Permit Technician

Tori Townsend
Contract Permit Technician

Also of interest...

Moreno Valley Logo



Moreno Valley City Hall
14177 Frederick Street
PO Box 88005
Moreno Valley, CA 92552
Phone: 951.413.3000
Hours: Monday - Thursday; 7:30am - 5:30pm
Fridays: 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Get in touch: Contact us
Copyright City of Moreno Valley, All Rights Reserved.
Important Information About This Site